|PATIO THEATRE BUILDING
6008 W. Irving Park Rd Chicago
The building opened in 1927 with 7 stores, 14 apartments and a state of the art neighborhood movie house. The building continues today with its' original marquee and steam boiler and stands as a landmark to a bygone era. The movie house still operates 7 days a week as the largest single screen theatre in the City of Chicago with 1500 seats. It is an atmospheric house and the patrons can enjoy the show as the stars twinkle and the clouds roll. The theatre still can function as a performance house as all the stage panel dimmers and switches are fully functional providing the lighting changes that were possible in the older theatres. A powerful 4000 watt spotlight obtained from the Chicago Stadium
floods the organ and stage to enhance the performances.
|THE PATIO ORGAN
The 3 manul 18 rank Barton organ was installed as a 3/17 at a cost of $25.000 in time for the theatres opening in 1927. The first staff organist was John Devine. Like most theatre pipe organs, the instrument fell silent after the talking pictures eliminated the need for live accompaniment of the films. Restoration began in 1966 when a group of organ enthusiasts brought the organ back to playing condition. CATOE members have kept this instrument alive and available for public performances through the years and the organ is still heard today. The first public show was presented on April 6, 1967 featuring a silent movie and sing-a-long with popular theatre organist Hal Pearl. The audience packed the theatre with standing room only remaining.
|16' TUBA octave added to the main chamber
2nd and 3rd xylophones in the main chamber
an additional string rank in the solo chamber
A second glockenspiel and orchestral bells in the solo chamber
Hammond electric piano -(exposed)
Decator electric vibra harp - in orchestra pit
Hammond RT3 electric pedal in main chamber
2 additional regulators and trems in main chamber
All traps are exposed plus the following additions:
Crash cymbal, sleigh bell, electronic brush and locomotive bell
|PATIO BARTON ORGAN CHAMBER ANALYSIS|
TIBA CLAUSA 16' -2'
TUBA 16' -4'
ORIGINAL COMBINATION ACTION
|Patio Barton Stoplist||(requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to open)|
|For any possible program information check out the Current Theatre Organ Installation Database and type in:"IL" in state block and "Patio" in Location(venue) block and click on Search Icon.|
|Information provided by Bill Reiger
Background courtesy Kurt Schlieter
|updated 31 July 2001|
|RETURN TO CHICAGO AREA ORGAN PAGE|