3/10 WurliTzer at the Aragon Ballroom

Aragon Ballroom
Chicago's famous Northside night spot opened in 1926 with the "King of Jazz", Paul Whiteman and his orchestra. The three manual, ten rank WurliTzer Opus 1897 was a factory rebuild of the two-manual, ten rank instrument from the Pelican Theatre,  Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Hal Pearl and the Aragon Ballroom
The Aragon Ballroom along with its sister operation, the Trianon, on the southside, was extremely popular with dancers during the thirties and forties. Although the Trianon and its organ did not survive, the Aragon and its WurliTzer organ remain virtually unchanged today even though its main floor has not seen dance couples except for a few isolated special occasions in years. Used mainly now as an exhibition hall for sporting events and private parties. For years Hal Pearl reigned supreme at the 3/10 WurliTzer console and was very popular with the dancers.
RETURN TO CATOE CHICAGO AREA ORGANS PAGE
Return to THEATRE ORGAN HOME PAGE